Thank you for subscribing!

Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim has been remanded to appear before Westminster Magistrates Court tomorrow

A Iraqi national has been charged in connection with the Manchester synagogue terrorist attack in October last year.

Hekmat Omar Ali Hakim, 49, of St. James Road, Higher Broughton, has today been charged with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity under Section 38b of the Terrorism Act 2000.

Hakim, an Iraqi national who self-identified to police as 'Asian', has been remanded to appear before Westminster Magistrates Court tomorrow.

The charge relates directly to the attack which took place on the morning of October 2 at the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue.

Melvin Cravitz, 66, and Adrian Daulby, 53, tragically died during the horrific attack, while three other men were treated in hospital for serious injuries, having since been released.

Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts, who holds operational responsibility for Counter Terrorism Policing North West, said: “I can confirm that, earlier today, officers from Counter Terrorism Policing North West charged a man with failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity.

"This charge is directly related to the terrorist attack which took place at the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue last October.

“This is a significant development in our investigation, and my thoughts are with all those affected by the attack, particularly the bereaved loved ones and survivors.

"We have updated them and continue to offer them as much support as possible.

"Since the attack took place, we have been unwavering in our commitment to establishing the full picture behind the incident and identifying anybody who may have been involved in any way.

“The charge that has been authorised is the culmination of a substantial amount of meticulous work by the investigation team, supported by the Crown Prosecution Service, and I hope this update reaffirms that commitment.”

Syrian-born British citizen Jihad Al-Shamie, 35, was responsible for the attack, and was shot dead at the scene.

Both victims killed during the incident were stabbed by Al-Shamie, who was wearing a fake suicide belt at the time of the attack.

Bashir, of Shaftsbury Road in Cheetham Hill, was later arrested at Manchester Airport on November 27 last year.

Last month, Manchester Police Chief Constable Sir Stephen Watson QPM apologised for the missed opportunities to prevent the tragic attack, confirming the force had access to information showing signs of an "extremist mindset" in Al-Shamie - only examined after the atrocity was committed.

He said: "The terrorist atrocity at the Heaton Park synagogue last October was a wicked act which inflicted great harm and suffering upon bereaved families and survivors.

"For our Jewish community, it also served to amplify their anxieties and fears which are legitimate, longstanding and visceral."

He confirmed the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is engaged in conducting a review into Greater Manchester Police’s past investigations into Al-Shamie.

The Syrian-born attacker was earlier arrested on the February 13 2025 on suspicion of breaching a non-molestation order and again on the September 21 2025 on suspicion of rape.

At the time of his committing the attack at the Heaton Park Synagogue, Al-Shamie was on police bail for prior offences.