Thank you for subscribing!

Nigel Farage said he had 'never been angrier' after 'intimidation' against his daughter's safety

Ofcom has launched a formal investigation into Sky News following a complaint from Reform UK over a reporter’s visit to the home of Nigel Farage’s daughter.

The media regulator confirmed this evening that it had accepted a complaint concerning a report broadcast by the 24-hour news channel last month.

Reform UK alleged that the broadcaster had breached rules covering accuracy, impartiality and privacy during its coverage of questions surrounding donations received by the Reform leader.

The dispute centres on an incident on July 6, when a Sky News reporter visited a property where Mr Farage’s daughter lives while the Reform leader was abroad.

Sky News said it was attempting to contact the Reform leader about donations he had received from George Cottrell, one of his close associates who has been convicted of fraud in the United States.

Mr Farage is also facing a parliamentary standards investigation over the donations, as well as a £5 million gift he accepted from cryptocurrency billionaire Christopher Harborne before the 2024 general election.

The broadcaster later approached Mr Farage at a UK airport as he returned from an Independence Day event in Washington.

By then, he had been informed about the earlier visit to his daughter’s home, and reacted angrily when questioned by the reporter, warning Sky News not to “harass” his family and claiming that the broadcaster had broken journalistic principles.

“You tell your bosses, you harass my family any more and there will be serious consequences,” he said at the time.

After footage of the exchange was broadcast, a Sky News presenter stressed that the channel had not contacted Mr Farage’s family over the story.

Reform UK subsequently complained to Ofcom, arguing that the statement portrayed Mr Farage as a liar.

The party also claimed that the report failed to include important context, including his assertion that his daughter had felt “harassed and unsafe” following media attendance at her home.

Ofcom said it had found grounds to investigate complaints relating to both unfair treatment and an alleged unwarranted infringement of Mr Farage’s privacy.

The regulator’s decision follows the release by Mr Farage of security-camera footage from the property, showing two visits on the morning of July 6.

The first, at 7.41am, involved a person arriving in a black saloon car and speaking to someone on the driveway.

A second visit, at 10.19am, involved a man approaching the house, knocking on the door and leaving shortly afterwards.

Sky News has confirmed that its reporter made the second visit, and subsequently clarified they had visited the home, but had not spoken to Mr Farage’s daughter, as another person answered the door.

The broadcaster has defended the approach as routine journalism concerning a matter of legitimate public interest.

It said the reporter identified themselves, and that the adult occupant chose not to engage.

The broadcaster also rejected claims that it had “hounded” or pursued Mr Farage’s daughter, saying its reporter had been seeking to contact Mr Farage and had not intended to speak to anyone else.

Ofcom can impose sanctions, including fines, in serious cases where broadcasting rules are breached - however the regulator cannot compel a broadcaster to issue an apology or correction.

Its findings will be published once the investigation is concluded.