
You are about to be charged £0.00*
*Your gift has been applied

Thank you for subscribing!
Volodymyr Zelensky told ‘democracy cannot be held hostage’ as sacked minister demands wartime election
WATCH: Kira Rudik discusses Britain's support for Ukraine
|GB NEWS

'Democracy cannot be held hostage by Russia,' Mykhailo Fedorov declared
Don't Miss
Most Read
Latest
Mykhailo Fedorov, the sacked Ukrainian defence minister, has called for Kyiv to hold elections despite the ongoing war in a major challenge to President Volodymyr Zelensky's authority.
The 35-year-old made the demand in a YouTube address on Tuesday - although he did not directly reference Mr Zelensky.
His intervention marks the first time a major Ukrainian political figure has publicly pushed for a return to democratic voting since martial law suspended elections following Russia's full-scale invasion in 2022.
The Ukrainian President's office offered no immediate response to the address.
Rather than calling for immediate elections, Mr Fedorov urged the creation of "a legal, safe and realistic mechanism" to restore full democratic processes even if the conflict continues.
"Democracy cannot be held hostage by Russia," he declared, insisting that Ukraine was fighting "precisely because we want to remain a free European state".
He also accused Ukraine of being gripped by a "systemic crisis of governance" and argued that its existing power structures were resistant to renewal.
"The old system lives by its own rules too often. It protects itself. It is scared of change," he said.

Mykhailo Fedorov accused Ukraine of being gripped by a 'systemic crisis of governance'
|GETTY
Mr Fedorov also condemned corruption within the state apparatus, claiming it was undermining the military campaign, although he did not name individuals.
The intervention comes just weeks after Mr Fedorov was unexpectedly removed as defence minister following only six months in the role.
He had been a longstanding ally of Mr Zelensky and arrived at the defence ministry in January promising sweeping reforms.
His removal was linked to a deepening rift with armed forces commander-in-chief Oleksandr Syrskyi, with the Ukrainian President citing their inability to work together as the reason for the dismissal.
UKRAINE - READ THE LATEST:

Mr Fedorov was unexpectedly removed as defence minister following only six months in the role
|REUTERS
Following his sacking, Mr Fedorov publicly attacked Mr Syrskyi, exposing their competing visions for the conduct of the war.
Thousands of demonstrators subsequently took to the streets demanding that the military chief be removed and Mr Fedorov reinstated.
The pressure ultimately led to Mr Syrskyi being replaced several weeks later.
The 35-year-old became Ukraine's youngest-ever minister when he took charge of the digital transformation portfolio at the age of 28, a position he held for six years.

Recent polling suggests the 35-year-old would defeat the Ukrainian President in a head-to-head runoff
| REUTERSHe was the final surviving member of Mr Zelensky's original 2019 cabinet.
Recent polling suggests he would defeat the Ukrainian President in a head-to-head runoff - but the former minister gave no indication in his address that he intended to stand as a candidate.
"Our people have long been ready for a different country," he said.
"Now, our state must become worthy of its people."
Mr Fedorov has turned down alternative government roles, including deputy prime minister for military innovation, saying he would only return to serve as defence minister.





