Thank you for subscribing!
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's return to the UK is down to the "disastrous failure in the United States," a royal commentator has claimed.
GB News confirmed on Wednesday evening that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are sensationally moving to the UK at the end of this month for "an extended period of time".
It comes six years after they shook the Royal Family by announcing they were quitting their roles as working royals, and upping sticks to Montecito, California.
While Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet are said to have been enrolled in an unknown school already, King Charles is only believed to have been informed of the decision on Sunday - just three days before the news was revealed to the public.
Royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams told GB News this is down to the Sussexes' "ruthlessness".
He said: "This is putting it mildly; even their ruthless audaciousness isn't usually like this, because this really is extraordinary.
The commentator said he believes the main reason behind their return is a "bad, disastrous failure in the United States."
Harry and Meghan’s new chapter in America began with their bombshell 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey, in which the duchess claimed she had been "silenced" by the Royal Family.
The interview was followed by Harry’s memoir Spare, which contained a series of damaging allegations about his family and his life as a working royal.
The couple subsequently signed a reported $100million deal with Netflix, producing a number of projects for the streaming giant, including their controversial 2022 documentary Harry & Meghan - where Harry accused the monarchy of a "huge level of unconscious bias".
The duchess's lifestyle show With Love, Meghan, was then released in 2025, climbing to 10th position on Netflix's global Top 10 within its first week.
However, the show’s performance later declined sharply, falling to to number 383 for the first half of the year, while the couple’s wider Hollywood ambitions have faced a series of setbacks.
LATEST ROYAL NEWS
Last year, Meghan and Harry agreed a fresh first-look arrangement with the streaming service, granting Netflix priority access to productions from their company Archewell Productions.
Their latest project, Cookie Queens, also suffered disappointment, taking just over £250,000 at the box office.
And after With Love, Meghan's second series, the duchess totally severed ties with the streaming giant, taking complete control of her lifestyle brand, As Ever.
While the show did recently secure a Daytime Emmy nomination, sources have indicated there are "currently no plans for a third season."
So, while the Hollywood dream has seemingly begun to fall apart for the Sussexes, Mr Fitzwilliams suggested that Harry will be "feeling the pangs that exiles do".
"He hasn't got a proper job, really," the expert added. "And to be in a cameo in some of Megan's films - I mean, that is no future for him.
"I don't think that she would have particularly wanted this."
The commentator claimed that Buckingham Palace will now be in a "quandary as to how to deal with this both short and long term."






